The Mint Hotel Photograph Collection consists of photographic prints and postcards from approximately 1960 to 1980. The collection includes photographs of the Mint’s “Behind the Scenes” tour during which guests experienced casino operations, and photographs and postcards of the hotel itself.
Finding Aid PDF
Scope and Contents Note
The Mint Hotel Photograph Collection consists of photographic prints and postcards from approximately 1960 to 1980. The collection includes photographs of the Mint’s “Behind the Scenes” tour during which guests experienced casino operations. The “Behind the Scenes” photographs include views of the slot machine repair and coin counting rooms, as well as casino security observing players. Also included are photographs and postcards of the exterior of the hotel on Fremont Street in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Collection is open for research.
Materials in this collection may be protected by copyrights and other rights. See Reproductions and Use on the UNLV Special Collections and Archives website for more information about reproductions and permissions to publish.
Materials remain as they were received.
Biographical / Historical Note
The Mint Las Vegas opened on Fremont Street in Las Vegas, Nevada in 1957. It was purchased by real estate developer Del Webb in 1961. Under Webb’s ownership, the casino expanded to include a hotel tower that was completed in 1965. The Mint has been featured in several feature films due to its mid-century modern design that stood out among other popular Fremont Street properties. The Mint was purchased by the Binion family in 1988, and became part of Binion’s Horseshoe.
Classic Las Vegas. “Lost Vegas: The Mint.” Accessed March 19, 2020. http://classiclasvegas.com/clv-history-blog/2014/5/14/lost-vegas-the-mint
The Mint Hotel Photograph Collection, approximately 1960-1980. PH-00235. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada.
Materials were periodically collected by the University Libraries Special Collections and Archives; accession number 1981-145.
In 2020, Lauren Paljusaj wrote the finding aid and entered the data into ArchiveSpace.