hln000983. Union Pacific Railroad Collection, 1828-1995. MS-00397. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. http://n2t.net/ark:/62930/d1bv7dv9r
Standardized Rights Statement
Digital Processing Note
Report on Las Vegas, Nevada Water Supply Introductory When the San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad Company, following negotiations between Wm. A. Clark and E. H. Harriman, began unhindered construction of the present Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad between Caliente and Los Angles, Clark purchased a large tract of land or both sides of the adopted line through Las Vegas. The tract embraced valuable springs two miles west of the railroad, ranch property on the northeast, and the site south of the ranch property which was decided upon as the future location of the city. This purchase, which carried with it a requirement that the adjoining Stewart Burial Plot should be supplied with 4 miners' inches of water (equal to 63,160 gallons per day), was made by deed of December C, 1902 from Helen J., Eliza J., Wm. J. and Hiram R. Stewart and Evaline S. Coffey to A. Clark, who conveyed it to the SP,LA&SLRRCo. by deed of July 2, 1903. During the railroad's construction a redwood stave pipe line was laid from the springs to the Las Vegas station grounds, and a locomotive water station was erected. Upon completion of the railroad (May,1905), the Las Vegas Land and Water Company was incorporated, and the ranch and townsite areas were conveyed to it by deed of May 8, 1905 Clark's Las Vegas Townsite was platted and placed on the market, and the LVLandWCo. laid its distribution system of water pipes through the new townsite; these lines were of redwood stave pipe. Connection was made with the railroad water main transmission line at the edge of the station grounds, a meter being installed to measure the water delivered to the LVLandWCo. The contract now in effect between the LA&SLRRCo. and the LVLandWCo. for the Joint use of the springs, etc., and the water main transmission lines is dated March 30, 1929 (Audit No. 7322). It provides for a monthly charge to be borne by the Water Company for its share of the cost of the water used based on the consumption by each company. The costs are revised at the beginning of each year to include the preceding year's changes in the LA&SL Investment in the plant, and to substitute the cost of maintenance and operation of the plant, and quantities of water supplied, for the corresponding figures of the year before.