Skip to main content

Search the Special Collections and Archives Portal

Postcard of Klondyke (Nev.), 1963

Image

File
Download pho020562.tif (image/tiff; 26.07 MB)

Information

Date

1963

Description

Located 10 miles southeast of Tonopah, the camp was settled in the late 1890s when silver and gold was discovered in the area. In May, 1900, when Jim Butler picked up his first samples at the site that would become Tonopah, he was en route to Klondyke. He offered the local assayer, Frank Higgs, an interest in the find for an assay, but Higgs declared the samples worthless and threw them out. Fortunately, Butler retrieved more samples on this return trip to Belmont. The building on the right with the large smoke-stack was the assay office. None of the structures remain today.

Digital ID

pho020562

Physical Identifier

0082_0049
Details

Citation

pho020562. Central Nevada Historical Society Photograph Collection. PH-00082. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. http://n2t.net/ark:/62930/d15h7bz5b.

Rights

This material is made available to facilitate private study, scholarship, or research. It may be protected by copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity rights, or other interests not owned by UNLV. Users are responsible for determining whether permissions are necessary from rights owners for any intended use and for obtaining all required permissions. Acknowledgement of the UNLV University Libraries is requested. For more information, please see the UNLV Special Collections policies on reproduction and use (https://www.library.unlv.edu/speccol/research_and_services/reproductions) or contact us at special.collections@unlv.edu.

Standardized Rights Statement

Digital Provenance

Digitized materials: physical originals can be viewed in Special Collections and Archives reading room

Extent

3601 x 2530 pixels
6.00 x 4.22 inches
27,344,896 bytes

Language

English

Publisher

University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Libraries

Format

image/tiff