Search the Special Collections and Archives Portal
JMA Architecture Studios
JMA (Jack Miller & Associates) was established by Jack Miller (1914-1999) in 1945 and is one of the oldest architectural firms in Las Vegas. Jack Miller came to Las Vegas in 1942 to assist in the design of the Basic Magnesium Plant in Henderson. As one of only a few architects working in Las Vegas after the war, Miller was able to establish a thriving practice designing all types of buildings: schools, residences, commercial and government buildings, hospitals and the original Stardust Hotel. JMA designed a number of buildings for the UNLV campus: the original gymnasium, now the Barrick Museum, the Carlson Education Building, the Chemistry Building, the Juanita Greer White Life Sciences Building, the Dickinson Library Addition, Stan Fulton Building, UCC residential complex, and the Desert Research Institute. JMA did expansion designs for the McCarran airport terminals and the Las Vegas Convention Center and provided master plans for office parks in the Howard Hughes Center and Summerlin. Signature buildings and projects include the downtown Centel and Nevada Power Co. buildings, Park Towers, One Queensridge Place, the VA, Summerlin and St. Rose Hospitals, the World Market Center and the new City Hall.
By 1992 both Jack Miller and his long-time associate Thomas Turner had retired and Thomas J. Schoeman who had been with the firm since 1979 took over the company now known as JMA Architecture Studios as President and CEO. Under Schoeman’s leadership JMA became a nationally recognized design firm specializing in Commercial, Hospitality, Healthcare and Public facilities. Schoeman retired in 2011, when JMA was acquired as an affiliate of Michael Baker International, LLC.