Skip to main content

Search the Special Collections and Archives Portal

Audio clip from interview with Greg Goussak on May 19, 2015

Audio file

Audio file
Download jhp000190.mp3 (audio/mpeg; 2.42 MB)





In this clip, Greg Goussak describes his family's involvement with the Albert Einstein Hebrew Day School where his mother was the director in the 1970s.

Digital ID



Greg Goussak oral history interview, 2015 May 19. OH-02422. [Audio recording]. Oral History Research Center, Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada.


This material is made available to facilitate private study, scholarship, or research. It may be protected by copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity rights, or other interests not owned by UNLV. Users are responsible for determining whether permissions are necessary from rights owners for any intended use and for obtaining all required permissions. Acknowledgement of the UNLV University Libraries is requested. For more information, please see the UNLV Special Collections policies on reproduction and use ( or contact us at

Standardized Rights Statement

Digital Provenance

Original archival records created digitally


1,001,521,358 bytes




University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Libraries



My mom, in the early seventies, became director of the Albert Einstein Hebrew Day School. The Albert Einstein Hebrew Day School today is the Adelson School. It went from the Albert Einstein Hebrew Day School to become the Milton I. Schwartz Hebrew Academy. I'll share some real connections in a moment with that. Then we became the Sheldon and Miriam Adelson School. So it's had the three different names. The elementary school is still called the Milton I. Schwartz Hebrew Academy. Originally the high school was housed in some church; I have no idea where it was - but they moved into the classrooms at Temple Beth Sholom because Temple Beth Sholom had all these classrooms. They had a preschool on one side that I attended when I was really young. They had like eight rooms, but they were only used in the afternoons and on Sundays [for religious school]. So the Einstein School moved into Temple Beth Sholom and used their facilities. At the time, it went either to third or fourth grade; I can't remember. Well, it didn't have any money. Surprise. So when my mom was director, they had a telephone installed at our house. When the phone at the school rang, it rang at home. It was this one phone on a desk in the corner of our dining room. We were all trained that if that phone rang, we answered it, "Albert Einstein Hebrew Day School." That was home. It didn't matter what time, we would answer the phone like that. This is 1973-74; something like that. We didn't have digital technology; it was all analogue technology. Why was she having to take the calls there? Because there was nobody else to take the calls. They were always trying to recruit students and there was nobody else to take the calls. So she was selling the - She was doing everything. In 1974, we took a family vacation, and drove to Lake Tahoe. It seemed like fifty hours; I know it wasn't. The reason we were going there was because my mom had to hand deliver the licensing application to Carson City to get the school licensed with the State Board of Education.