Skip to main content

Search the Special Collections and Archives Portal

Transcript of interview with Louis F. La Porta by Stefani Evans and Claytee White, November 4, 2016






Louis La Porta served on the City Council of Henderson, Nevada and the Board of Clark County, Nevada and oversaw periods of great growth. He was born in 1924 in New York City, but his service in the United States Air Force pulled him out West. After settling in Henderson, Nevada, with his wife Elayne, La Porta became interested in insurance sales and local politics. While in office, La Porta oversaw the development of critical roads for Clark County, the Henderson Historical Society, and Henderson Libraries. He recounts each of these major developments in his interview, chronicling the evolution of Henderson, Nevada, into a major city.

Digital ID


Physical Identifier



La Porta, Louis F. Interview, 2016 November 4. OH-02890. [Transcript.] Oral History Research Center, Special Collections & Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada.


This material is made available to facilitate private study, scholarship, or research. It may be protected by copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity rights, or other interests not owned by UNLV. Users are responsible for determining whether permissions are necessary from rights owners for any intended use and for obtaining all required permissions. Acknowledgement of the UNLV University Libraries is requested. For more information, please see the UNLV Special Collections policies on reproduction and use ( or contact us at

Standardized Rights Statement

Digital Provenance

Digitized materials: physical originals can be viewed in Special Collections and Archives reading room



Geographic Coordinate

36.0397, -114.98194



AN INTERVIEW WITH LOUIS LA PORTA An Oral History Conducted by Stefani Evans and Claytee D. White The Building Las Vegas Oral History Project Oral History Research Center at UNLV University Libraries University of Nevada Las Vegas ii ©The Building Las Vegas Oral History Project University of Nevada Las Vegas, 2016 Produced by: The Oral History Research Center at UNLV University Libraries Director: Claytee D. White Editor: Stefani Evans, Franklin Howard Transcribers: Kristin Hicks, Frances Smith Interviewers: Stefani Evans, Claytee D. White Project Manager: Stefani Evans iii The recorded interview and transcript have been made possible through the generosity of the UNLV University Libraries. The Oral History Research Center enables students and staff to work together with community members to generate this selection of first-person narratives. The participants in this project thank the University for the support given that allowed an idea and the opportunity to flourish. The transcript received minimal editing that includes the elimination of fragments, false starts, and repetitions in order to enhance the reader’s understanding of the material. All measures have been taken to preserve the style and language of the narrator. In several cases photographic sources accompany the individual interviews. The following interview is part of a series of interviews conducted under the auspices of the Building Las Vegas Oral History Project. Claytee D. White Director, Oral History Research Center University Libraries University Nevada, Las Vegas iv PREFACE Louis La Porta served on the City Council of Henderson, Nevada and the Board of Clark County, Nevada and oversaw periods of great growth. He was born in 1924 in New York City, but his service in the United States Air Force pulled him out West. After settling in Henderson, Nevada, with his wife Elayne, La Porta became interested in insurance sales and local politics. While in office, La Porta oversaw the development of critical roads for Clark County, the Henderson Historical Society, and Henderson Libraries. He recounts each of these major developments in his interview, chronicling the evolution of Henderson, Nevada, into a major city.v TABLE OF CONTENTS Interview with Louis La Porta November 4, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada Conducted by Stefani Evans and Claytee D. White Preface……………………………………………………………………………..…………..iv Recalling childhood, the United States Air Force, and move to Henderson, Nevada; describes manufacturing and industry in Henderson during the 1940s and 1950s; Henderson’s City Council, Henderson's first housing development, Henderson's library system, and Henderson's first bank; the Clark County Commission and roads for Clark County, Nevada; discusses the development of a single sanitation district in Clark County; recalls the history of convention centers in Las Vegas and Henderson; discusses the future of Henderson’s historic districts; describes the creation and impact of the Henderson Historical Society; recalls the origins of Nevada State College…………………………………………………...…………………..1-26 1 S: Good afternoon. This is Stefani Evans and Claytee White. It is November 4, 2016 and we are here with Mr. Lou La Porta. Mr. La Porta would you please spell your first and last names please. First name is L O U I S, middle initial F, and the last name is L A capital P O R T A. S: Do you put a space between the La and the P? Yes. I do. S: Why don't we begin with you telling us about your early childhood, where you were born, and what it was like to grow up there. That goes back quite a ways, to 1924, and I don't remember how it was growing up in that time, but I do know that it was a period that depression had hit back in 1929 and growing up I escaped that kind of force because things were moving rather comfortably for at least my age. I went to grammar school and then left that to go up to Tuckahoe High and did my junior high and senior and I graduated in 1942. As a child the era was a lot different than it is today. I had the opportunity to do an awful lot of things. In the summers I would be busy, from delivering the Herald Statesman newspaper that came from Yonkers, New York-I was employed with Western Union in Bronxville, New York. I had a bicycle and did that for about a year and a half. There were a lot of other activities that we were able to do. We didn't have a government that was always on top of us. We escaped that. C: Where did you grow up? In Tuckahoe, New York. Tuckahoe is in Westchester County. Tuckahoe is a village, Eastchester is a Town and White Plains, New York is the County. I did a lot of things. I even caddied at the Oak Ridge Golf Course. These were the things we were able to do and there wasn't any federal government edict that was trying to hinder us from our choice of 2 employment. In high school I took the academic subjects and I took what I call industrial arts. Industrial arts gave me a different type of education, I was doing architectural drawings and that sort of thing. When I graduated I could have PG, post graduate, but I didn't want to do that because all I do is wait and the draft was around. I said what am I going to do in school, just go for six months and play ball? I didn't feel that would be beneficial. Elayne was also a student at Tuckahoe High. She was a year behind me and that is how we met. S: In high school? Yes, from high school. I didn't know what to do in waiting, I finally went down to New York City and I made it a point to get in to see the Lummis, it was the Lummis Company. I went in for the interview and my school instructor told us that in architectural work and the blueprints that were done in school should be followed in applying for a job. Make sure you print the way you have printed on your work in school. Well, I did. Mr. Haywood, I have never forgotten his name, he said, "Where did you learn that printing?" I told him. He didn't offer the job to me right away because he knew I would only be there six months or nine months because of the draft. Anyway I went back the second time and he said, "You really want to join us." I said, "Yes, I do." He said, "You are going to be working with Cooper Union engineers here and they'll want tracing plans. They will give you what is needed. I think you should go to the New York School of Drafting for typing education." I said, "Where is that?" He said, "On the Eastside of New York." I said, "I'll take it." So I did. I was there maybe three or four months, in terms of going through the school, but I had to do it after work. I went to school right after work and then I would go home. Many a time I fell asleep on the New York Central line going back to Tuckahoe and I would end up in Crestwood or another stop and then I would have to go all the way back again to Tuckahoe. It 3 was worth it because I learned quite a bit. That is how I started. I just didn't feel like I wanted to go back and PG because I knew what I would be doing, just hanging around playing ball and that sort of thing. That is how I looked at it. At that time the war is on and everybody was in it, civilians, and military, all of us. My dad didn't even know what I was doing at the time because he went to Detroit to work. My mother and sister and brother they ended up in Miami where my grandpa and grandma were. They wanted to get out of the heavy winters and they ended up down there and they bought a rooming house. I had no idea I would be taking basic training in Miami Beach on the sand and I had no idea what my position would be. We were housed in a hotel, we were in hotels all over Miami Beach. This is kind of crazy but they wouldn't let us use the elevators, we had to climb four or five stories. The only thing they told us is when you take your shoes off and you put them back on in the morning make sure you tap them because you will have scorpions. I said, "What?" That is the way it was. We were young and we didn't know. From there I left Miami and I ended up in Salt Lake City and that was another staging area for about two or three weeks. The last spot that I went to was Fort George Wright in Spokane, Washington. Obviously, I was intrigued and the next thing I knew we were being educated on equipment that you would have on the B-17s. I didn't know where that was going to go. I just got there and it was a new unit. I learned quite a bit. I learned all about the 50 caliber guns and the bombs and equipment. I knew essentially we would be in the Air Force, but I wasn't at the time. The next base I went to was Rapid City, South Dakota, with the 398 Bomb Group, 601st Bomb Squadron. That was where things happened. This was OTU [Operational-Replacement Training Unit] unit, the whole group would move into England as a group. We 4 were trained as a group. All of a sudden I viewed a bulletin board informing us that the 398th is now a RTC replacement training unit. That means you are only going to take parts of whatever they needed to fill in what is in England. All of a sudden I looked at another bulletin board that said if you would like to get in as an aviation cadet. Early, I couldn't get in the cadets before because you needed two years of college and I didn't have it. I answered the bulletin board and followed the requirements,, I passed the physical and I passed the written test. Now I am a member waiting to get into a college. They sent us to Black Hills Teachers' College in South Dakota. That is where I had about four months of schooling. It was academic subjects, math and geography and a number of things that you needed as you were learning to be an aviator. Then that is when Elayne, who was in Detroit with my folks, called me and said, "When are we going to get married?" I said, "Elayne, you want to get married?" I am thinking, Jesus, this is something. I said, "Elayne, let me tell you my present position. Let me get through this CCD College. I know where I am going next, pre-flight, Santa Ana, California." She said, "That's great. I don't know my cousins but I know they are out in Tarzana." I didn't know where Tarzana was. We were married and from that point on she became a military wife and I was happy. But you can't believe how the world was at that time. You had 16 million people in uniform and they are all over. Here I am at Santa Ana and she is in Tarzana. C: She didn't live on the base with you? No, you couldn't live on the base, not in those days. She lived with her cousins and from that point on she went along with me where I was being trained. Elayne was in motels, hotels. S: When you were in Santa Ana, were you at the Blimp Base or El Toro? No, they made it a civilian base. 5 S: Is it where the blimp hangars were? No. We didn't have blimps there. It was John Wayne Air Field [now John Wayne Airport, Orange County (SNA)]. We had a lot of orange groves. I wasn't there more than six or seven weeks. The next place I was in was Kingman, Arizona taking gunnery and I got through with the gunnery and finally they assigned us to a bombardier school in Carlsbad, New Mexico. C: And where is Elayne? Elayne is with me in motels. She did something very clever while I was training at Carlsbad Air Force Base. She was industrious and a good artist, she got on base and got into the PX. I looked at her and said, "What are you doing here?" She said, "I just applied and I got the job." S: She was working in the PX? The Post Exchange? From that point on she was living in a motel in Carlsbad and I felt a little more comfortable that she was working there but I didn't see her that much. I was taking day school and I am flying and I didn't have time to do all of that. I graduated. It wasn't my choice. I was assigned to Las Vegas Air Force Base. This was a great gunnery outfit, probably one of the best. C: This was before it became Nellis? Yes, way before. When I got here, it wasn't my choice or Elayne's choice. At the orientation that you go through anytime you get to a new base, some of the officers said, "How many of you guys are married?" There were about five or six of us who raised our hands. We weren't flying as we just arrived. I said, "Why are you asking?" We were looking for motels. They said, "Why don't you go out to Henderson [Nevada]?" We said, "Henderson, what is that?" (Basic Magnesium) Where the hell is it?" He said, "It is maybe only eight or nine miles from here." I said, "That's fine." Two of the guys had two cars and we just got in and got close to one another in the streets area because we had to get back to the base at 6:30 in the morning. 6 Henderson Housing gave us three keys when we got up to the housing board because there were only 3500 people in the whole area. They closed the plant early on, right after the European War. They had enough magnesium. S: They closed BMI [Basic Magnesium, Inc.]? They closed BMI. C: What year was it when they closed it? Back in early 1945. Dow Chemical was the only chemical company that was dealing in magnesium, but sufficiently enough for the military. They told Dow Chemical that you are not to sell this to anyone but the military, because they didn't have enough to go around. Magnesium was so essential; they use it for aircraft, the sturdy part of the skin on a plane. In addition it was used in magnesium bombs, that's a whole different story. You can't buy that stuff now. You may try to put water on it and it just flies out on you. You have to take the oxygen away, you have to do all those things. I learned that and I didn't realize it at the time. When I was in training no one realized that the atomic bomb would be dropped in August of '45. I knew where it was. It was a no-fly zone in New Mexico. C: You moved to Henderson? Yes. When the bomb dropped nobody knew what to do because we had been told that it would be another year of fighting, so we didn't expect the bomb. We only had two bombs, and that is it. So Elayne and I said, "Well, what do we do?" She said and I agreed with her, "Let's stay here for a while." S: Did your comrades stay in Henderson as well? There were two of them that were married. One went back to LA and two of them stayed here. One was a contractor. 7 S: What was his name? He owned the Sierra Construction Company. Gus Rapone was the one who stayed here. Gus graduated with me and he came up to this area and so did Legrand Wood. He lived in Hurricane, Utah. Those two and myself, the three of us, stayed here. Another one, John J. Costello, selected to stay in the military and he was in B-52s, the work horse that is still going on. C: Where in Henderson did you live? I lived on 111 Magnesium Street. Now I am a civilian and here I am in Henderson and I said, "What do I do?" I had no idea about the insurance business except for a fella that Joe had met hitchhiking to Las Vegas. He came back and he said, "Lou, do you want to go into the insurance business?" I said, "What do you mean? We don't anything but the NSLI?" NSLI, that is the life insurance that they gave us [National Service Life Insurance (NSLI) program]. I accepted and it was tough because I didn't know enough about it. But as we got going, to keep finances around, I said I can't do it alone with just insurance. I am not making that kind of money. So I took a job at the Las Vegas Air Field as a fireman. I was on the crash crew. Now, I learned how to get to a plane that is in flames. You are working in teams and you are spreading out the gasoline. It was kind of crude, but that is what we learned. I would stay there 24 [hours] on, 24 off. I was out there about a year, year and a half. I said, "This is too much." S: You were commuting from Henderson out to the Air Force base. Yes. It was hard, but I had to do something and this was it. I am glad I did what I did. I couldn't go down to Las Vegas to look for accounts because there were other insurance people down there. I went to Searchlight and to the other areas and I got to know a lot of those people. That is how the whole thing started. Of course Henderson was not a city yet, there 8 were 3,500 of us. We were determined that we were going to get this Federal enclave going. War Assets Administration came into view. War Assets was nothing more than a Federal agency that sold property or dismantled it. Fred Unsworth was the guy that was assigned, great guy. I don't really think he wanted to dismantle it. Both the plant site and the town site, they were two separate deals but they didn't call it Henderson. It was called Townsite and Plantsite, something like that. They couldn't sell it. The only thing that happened, and it was a good stroke, we got together. The Chamber [of Commerce] was very small, couldn't do everything, but the Las Vegas Chamber did have members and we finally got the state of Nevada to come down and look at that project. The state of Nevada was small and they had a budget. The state of Nevada only had $16 million in their budget. The plant was up for sale but it was built for $150 million. What did the state pay for it? 24 million. They were paying it in increments. I think it was Governor Pitman at that time. They bought it and that gave us an opportunity to say,” What are we doing?” They appointed John Muller with the Colorado River Commission, because it is a state agency. Within two years things started to happen. It was tough. They finally got Stauffer Chemical as a lead outfit. Stauffer Chemical Co. was there and there were two or three others. The one company that came in the 1950s, even before the city became a city, was U.S. Titanium. This is an interesting story about Titanium. I was not aware of it at the time. Others were saying Titanium was having trouble and might not stay. I didn't know enough about it but the crew that was out there said, "We have to do something about it." They all said, "We'll have to petition Senator McCarran." Guess what they did? Russia and China were gaining access to the titanium and would have rubbed out the titanium in Henderson. They got a program with the U.S. Senate, where they put a tariff on import titanium and that stopped it. I 9 am going to jump to almost our current time, we have another outfit in Henderson that produces chlorine and the same thing happened just recently, Olin Manufacturing. That same thing happened years later, just within the last two years. The senators didn't do a thing. They had to fold up on the chlorine and also a plant that is in the state of New York. They got out of the chlorine business. That is what happened years later. We learned quite a bit in Henderson. The city didn't come about until 1953. In 1953 the whole town was trying to do something. From that point on the donut hole came in. The donut hole is the separation between the plant site and the town site. That became a situation that didn't haunt us, but why did the plant site run out? They didn't. The management wasn't in Henderson. It was in either New York or Chicago or down in Texas, but the managers up here in Henderson they had a production line and they had to do something. They didn't feel like they wanted to get inside the city because the city didn't have anything at that moment, except they helped us talk about. This is just before we became a city. At that moment we found out that none of us in the city of Henderson owned property. They said, "You have to have property before you become a city." Pitman had a town board meeting and with that you try to get them away from their little public domain and they didn't understand what was going on. It took us about a year and a half, and with the help of BMI, they really helped us out, to get them to understand that they were the entranceway to the city of Henderson. They had all the property owners, we didn't. They joined us. S: Was Pittman a township? It was part of Clark County, they had a town board. That is how we ended up satisfying them that we would do things for them. They were getting drainage into that area. The plants had a 10 lot of areas that were contaminated and we found that out later. That is how it developed. We became a city in June of 1953. S: Who was your first mayor? Dr. James French. We had a free for all. It was open. I put my name in the ring. There must have been 19 names in that ring. It was a one shot deal. Four years, no pay. That was when I got involved. I am glad I did because I got to know a lot more people. It gave me an opportunity. We were all neophytes. Nobody had political knowledge. It gave us the opportunity to know what a city is. The unique thing is that it is an independent city. It is the second largest city now. Pat McCarran helped us out a lot. S: How did he help you? From the very beginning he really helped us because he was instrumental in getting FDR [President Franklin Delano Roosevelt] and the rest of the military, particularly Air Force, to gain access to make that place go. These were plans that were not U.S. plans, they were German plans. The German plans for Magnesium, somehow the British got a hold of them and they didn't know what it was all about. They came with that to the U.S. and the U.S. couldn't figure it out. They finally did it on their own. C: Who? The US engineers. S: They had to reinvent the wheel? They had to. It wasn't just something they had been doing. There is so much history on that you would have to spend a lot more time with me. The point was that it was finally producing. They only produced magnesium there for about a year and a half and produced enough of it that they stopped after the European War was finished. 11 C: The first mayor was Dr. French? Yes, there was Dr. French and five of us. I lived closer to that ward, I had Ward One I think. S: You were on the city council? Yes. There were five of us. S: Who else was on the city council? N.D. Van Wagenen was one. I remember. John Ivory was another one. C: So this was Henderson that was downtown Water Street? Yes. C: Describe Henderson to me at this time. First mayor, first city council. Describe Henderson, the city to me. The city really didn't have much to offer anybody because it was only about 5,000 acres that the federal government had and that included the plant on Townsite and all. What we had was a lot less, the area was very small. C: Was Water Street the main street? Yes. C: What was on the main Street? Water Street was named because we had two reservoirs up above and it would flow the water into the plant and into the town site. C: What kind of businesses were on Water Street? The businesses were essential. It was a federal enclave so you didn't have much. You were land locked, but it was only for the people that were there working. That became a problem for us years later because we were land locked. We weren't on the Boulder Highway and we weren't on Lake Mead. Pat McCarran was involved from the beginning with FDR. I didn't 12 know much about that at that point. When we got onto the city council he got in touch with us and he was very kind and he wanted to have dinner with us and we did. The five of us went down to the Hotel Frontier and during the course of discussing things, Senator McCarran asked, “What can I do for you people?” We said, “You can give us money but what are we going to do with the money?” He said, "Let me think about it.” He did and he came back and said, "I know what I can do for you with the acreage." He gave us 5,000 acres and that is what started the land bank still going on in the city of Henderson. C: This was federal lands? Yes, federal lands. It was easier for him to get that rather than money, I suspect. He gave us this 5,000 acres. We looked at each other and said we don't have the equipment to put housing or anything around. We had two plants that could probably do it. One was a plastic plant out there and a refrigeration plant and those two are still there. But that was on a track between the UP track going into Boulder City and that is why they took that. Well, that was the only two places we had that could do anything and we did. The rest we didn't know what to do with because you have to service it, fire protection, police protection, so we put it into a land bank. That land bank is still going today. That is where most of the land that the Henderson area got went into. That's where Green Valley came in, the whole area. Right now the city of Henderson is in a very, very excellent place. We are not bothered with Las Vegas. We love Las Vegas. They are doing their thing and we are doing our thing. We had the land to go after and it is still going. Right now the city of Henderson is clear almost into Sloan. C: Where was the first housing development? The first housing department was put in with 900 homes surrounding the town site area. That was built by a developer from Beverly Hills, California. 13 S: Do you know his name? Freedom Homes. I got to know them. I'm in the insurance business now. This was a unique situation, one of the sub-contractors was in Henderson and I knew him, he was a plumbing contractor. They got in touch with him to do the plumbing. He came into my office and he said, "Lou I have got to have a bond." I got a bond for him. The fella that was in charge of getting these homes put all together came into the office. He said, "Would you like to come down to Beverly Hills?" I said, "What am I going to do there?" He said, "Well, we have about four or five contractors in that area and we have to have bonds and we like the short form that you have." I didn't know enough about what that was at the time. I went down to American Surety Insurance Co. C: Is that who you worked under? Yes. This is an older fella and he said, "Louie, I'll tell you what. If you want to write those construction bonds, you will have to approve your own decision on them. You'll have to learn this." Bert, he was the guy that came into the office and he put me up in Beverly Hills Motel. My wife said, "Where are you going?" I said, "I'm going to Beverly Hills, California." I spent a week there and I met their suggested contractors. Some were good, some were a little short on capital, but I ended up with about four or five contractors, including WMK that went into the business here, that was later on. I got to know the contracting business. That is how I developed. I had all of those built homes covered. They were covered under a blanket policy. I didn't keep them all because people had their own insurance agents, but in the beginning that was what I covered for about a year or two. That is how I really gained an awful lot of knowledge of what I was doing in the insurance business. 14 C: When you went to Beverly Hills you met people who were going to have connections with Las Vegas? No, with the homes. C: Were you just dealing with people that were going to come to Nevada to do work? Yes, and they did. Painting contractors, plastering contractors, all of them. Some of them stayed here. They saw the opportunities because the pace started to pick up. Many of them had their offices in Las Vegas. WMK was one that ended up being a pretty good contractor for cement. S: Are they still in business? I don't know if they are still in business. That was a period of time that things were starting to move. C: Did you have any business in Boulder City? Yes I did. C: Explain how that happened. As you go along in the insurance business, there is a difference between a captive agent and an independent agent. We had a lot of independent agents in the area, Boulder City, Clark County, Las Vegas. I had the opportunity of representing two companies that offered me a situation that was interesting. They were asking me if I would like to take on five to six programs and they would teach me the ropes. They said, "You'll not be an independent. You will be going to school with us." I said, "That's intriguing." I ended up with six outfits that I didn't know a damn thing about, but I had to go to Denver and San Francisco. We were there for about a week. I had to leave the office and go to these places and learn something. There was always a distinction between a captive and the independent. Captive is State Farm, 15 Farmer's and all those. They are good people and they know their business. When the word captive came out some of my fellas were saying, "Well, you are not an independent anymore." I said, "Why did you think we were independent in the first place?" Of course that set them back. They were good fellas, but I had this opportunity and I took it. I grabbed it. I ended up writing big accounts and I learned the industry. That gave me a hell of a lot of deals. That is how the business grew. My son joined me. He was at ASU [Arizona State University] at the time. He went to California and started law school and then he said, “Dad you better let me come home because if I stay in California I'll be in California." He dropped out. I asked him, "Why do you want to drop out?" He said, "Well, I'll come home." He stayed with me for about 10 years and then wanted to go back to law school. I said, "Pete, go!" He contributed a lot. He graduated and became a public defender in Clark County. C: Tell me about Henderson as a city, being part of the Chamber of Commerce and Rotary. Tell me some of the projects that you got involved in that helped Henderson grow. You couldn't help be part of Henderson and the Rotarians. There were a lot of clubs out there, the American Legion, the VFW [Veterans of Foreign Wars], the Lions Club, and the Eagles. They all contributed, they were all involved, and it wasn't just one of them. The churches, St. Peter's Church, the Mormons, the Community Church, they were all involved. The area didn't grow up because of one or two guys. C: Tell me some of the projects you worked on. Talk about the library system. Did you help with the library in Henderson? 16 Yes, that started at Basic High and then they finally ended up with their own library and that library was distinct from the county or the Las Vegas. S: Was that the Paseo Verde Library? No, that was the downtown Henderson library. It is still going. Lydia Malclm was the first person on the library staff. The library system is still not under the city of Henderson. It is independent. C: Where was the first location? First location was on Water Street. The library building is still there and the trustees were all Henderson people. C: How did you get together to start it? I don't know, it just came about. There were people that were politically oriented by that time. You had two on the Clark County School Board too, which helped out a lot. These people all became pretty good in politics. They knew what they wanted to do and that is what helped us. C: Tell me about Selma Bartlett. Selma was a banker, not so much a banker from where she came from in Arkansas. She came up here and opened up the first bank in Henderson, probably in 1954 or 1955. She became a very good banker. S: Where was this bank? On Water Street where Wells Fargo is right now. She is very, very talented. She would call a meeting and I would say, "What are we going to discuss?" She would say, "Come over to the bank." There would be three or four of us and we would say, "What are we doing now?" C: What was she doing? Give me some idea of some of those things. 17 If the plants had any need for the town site to help out. The Adrian Sisters came there in 1947. They bought that from the state of Nevada. It gave us a sense of permanency. They bought it for a dollar and they were given 20 years for water and power and all of that. That is a whole new subject. If you want to add on to that I could. That should go into another story book. C: This is about building Henderson from ground up. I want you to talk about all the entities that it took to build Henderson. You are asking for something that covers a long time. It gets so confusing and I don't know how you straighten it out. S: Some of the names you mentioned, like the Adrian Sisters with Rose De Lima Hospital. There were so many activities that so many of us were involved with. I don't want to glorify myself. C: Pretend that you were just a fly on the wall and just tell us what happened. I spent six years with the city of Henderson and the opportunity came when the Clark County Board grew from three to five members. I had just gotten off the board for the city of Henderson and another chap beat me out by 14 votes. He was a great guy. He maybe did me a great favor. The county board got expanded and I thought that I'd try that one. It wasn't only Henderson, it was North Las Vegas, Boulder City, and Henderson, th