Skip to main content

Search the Special Collections and Archives Portal

Transcript of interview with Linda Lintner by Claytee White, February 12, 2013


Download OH_02116_book_o.pdf (application/pdf; 34.82 MB)






The daughter of a soldier, Linda Lintner and her mother traveled from North Carolina to Overton, Nevada to stay with Linda's grandparents when she was only six weeks old. After her father joined the family, they moved to Las Vegas where both her mother and her father started working at the Post Office. Linda attended local elementary and middle schools in the valley, and in due time, Rancho High School. In this interview, Linda shares not only her memories of growing up in Las Vegas but also fascinating stories about the almost decade long round the world sailing journey that she and her second husband began in 1986. In the course of the decade, Linda became a qualified diver, and expert sailor, and developed a lasting appreciation for the world, its oceans - and the skills you learn when you live on a boat with one other person for so very long. Since their return, Linda has been keeping busy, volunteering many hours with local veterans homes and the church - we are fortunate that she was able to spend time with our interviewer, too, to share her memories of growing up in Las Vegas.

Digital ID


Physical Identifier



[Transcript of interview with Linda Lintner by Claytee White, February 12, 2013]. Linda Lintner oral history interview, 2013 February 12. OH-02116. [Transcript.] Oral History Research Center, Special Collections & Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada.


This material is made available to facilitate private study, scholarship, or research. It may be protected by copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity rights, or other interests not owned by UNLV. Users are responsible for determining whether permissions are necessary from rights owners for any intended use and for obtaining all required permissions. Acknowledgement of the UNLV University Libraries is requested. For more information, please see the UNLV Special Collections policies on reproduction and use ( or contact us at

Standardized Rights Statement

Digital Provenance

Digitized materials: physical originals can be viewed in Special Collections and Archives reading room



Geographic Coordinate

36.17497, -115.13722



21 in dinner one time in a little place we had to take a taxi to because it was too far to walk. We were done with dinner and we started to go out the door and the waiter said, no, no, no, no, you can't go out. Okay. They said, well, the guards are out. I said why? He said didn't you hear the bell ring? I said no. It's a religion. They ring the bell and it's five minutes you're supposed to be praying instead of eating; I'm not exactly sure. But anyway, they had learned that if you go outside you get beat up because you're not supposed to be eating and having a good time and walking around. Fiji was very, very, very— So they beat you if you weren't praying? Yeah. Isn’t that beautiful? Yes. A boat sailed into Fiji and a little boy said I'm going to go fishing, Mommy. So he's out there fishing right off the big church there at a bank and he's fishing. Somebody called the police and they went out there in a boat and got him and took him to jail. He said but I was just fishing, and they said you don't work on Sunday. Well, I wasn't working; this is fun. No. They finally found out who his parents were on the boat. And they got of it by saying that they had crossed the international dateline and weren't sure what day it was. Sure, if you're navigating. But they got him out of jail with no problem. So they promised they would never work on Sunday again. Wow. What a different way to live. Oh, it was. And we went from one place to another. We'd stay two weeks to two months at a place and really learn about the people and how they lived and what they thought and go to the market at five o'clock in the morning to get vegetables and things that you don't have on your boat. We went to Tonga and the Solomon Islands. It was amazing. So you left here in 1986 doing that. When did you come back? We left in '88; we came back in August of'97. So it wasn't a whole ten years. 22 Wow. I know. Somebody said, wow, Vegas must have been a lot different when you came back. I said, well, the first time I flew back was from American Samoa for Christmas. I flew back and I thought, gee, there's a lot of red roofs out there. They had started the building in '89 and it just started up the mountainsides. Oh, the last time I flew home was from I think Mauritius, maybe. I had to fly home for my daughter's wedding. She got married in California. So I flew from Mauritius. You know where the Mauritius is? No. It's off the African coast. You know where Madagascar is. It's just outside of Madagascar; it's called Mauritius and Reunion. It's French; two French islands, Reunion and Mauritius. We were there just in time to call home and call and get a reservation to go home. I flew to the Seychelles because I had been there already; that was interesting. Yes. A lot of British people vacation there. Do they? Well, I just remember the great big—it was a huge silver metal artist's interpretation of a person. It was huge; I mean it was as tall as this room is long. It had chains and it looked like this monster had gone like this [demonstrating] and broken the chains because the chain had flipped on its side and was just falling. It was absolutely beautiful. It represented their freedom from—you know—from communism. Actually, it was communism in the Seychelles. Do you believe that? Yeah. I think so. Anyway, they were told everything they could and couldn't do and every dollar they made had to go to somebody else. Does that sound familiar? So is that how you stayed in touch, you would call home from various places? Yes. Every time that you leave port on a sailboat there's a chance you're not going to make it to the next port. So we learned to trust a little more than usual when you were just living on a place like this. We learned how to trust that God; I'll tell you how many times did I say, thank you, 23 Lord? I would call before we left and then we'd call when we got there. So we had phone cards that we could do that with; my mother had to learn to use it. So would you ever do that again? Oh, yes, in a minute. Wow. So was that a great way to start a marriage? Oh, yes, it was. With my first marriage when I would get angry I would just go take a walk. And you can't do that when you're on a boat that's fourteen feet wide and fifty feet long. So we just learned how to yell it out. I was told from the very beginning that if anything squeaks or moves on the boat that you need to tell the captain right away, who was my husband. So we had a little squeak in the wind vane and I didn't tell him because it was just a little squeak. He came up on deck after and he said why didn’t you tell me that thing is squeaking? I said, well, it's nothing. He said, oh, sure, the keel could fall off the wind vane and then we wouldn't be able to use it you'd have to steer the rest of the time. So I learned from that. And then another time that I didn't do what we told me to, we got forty-knot winds going into New Zealand. I didn't tell him that they had gone up just five knots. But forty, that's pretty strong. But our boat was fine. I didn't tell him that it was going a lot faster. So he came up and he said we've got a reef. So we spent fifteen, twenty minutes trying to get the sail down enough to make it a smaller sail. We had all our sails up, so we had to take one in. But I was having a good time; it was going along. That sounds wonderful. I've got to tell you the rest of it. This is a funny story about husbands and wives. He went down below and he washed off and got a new T-shirt on and he came back up and he was standing in the hatch area on the stairs, because we had stairs that went down, and he was reading me the riot 24 act again. I said aren't we done with this? Do you know what God did? [Laughing] We were just going along and this bucket full of water—I mean it wasn't a bucket; it was just water from the ocean—came right straight up in the air—and I watched it—right straight up in the air and right over the top of him down the hatch. And I went ooh. And he went whaa. He had to go do it all over, wash up. So was the argument over then? Yeah, it was because God got it finished. That is great. So how long did you live with him? How long were you and Mike married? We still are. So how long has it been? Oh, it will be twenty-five years the first of September. Yeah, I was married to Tom eighteen. So are you still in Boulder City? Yes. When we got back from cruising we left the boat in Washington State where we had come in. Well, we came in the straits of Juan de Fuca to a little fishing port, but I can't tell you the name of it right now, Port Douglas—no—Port Angeles. Port Douglas is in Australia. I can never get the ports right. We drove back to Boulder City. A friend of mine sold real estate and she tried to find us a house. Well, we saw every house in Boulder City that was for sale and didn't find what we wanted. So we went back to Washington and worked on the boat for a while. We had to clean it up and there were things that needed to be done and get all of our stuff off of it because Mike wanted to quit. He said watch my lips; “I want to go home.” So we were in the Caribbean then. He fell off scaffolding and broke some ribs. He didn't want to do it anymore. I said, okay, well, I'll go home if you take me to the Galapagos first. He said we can't get there from here. I said yes, we can. We go across and we go through the Panama Canal and then we sail down to—so that's what we did—sail down to the Galapagos. Oh, man. And then we went 25 straight up from the Galapagos to Washington State. We crossed our line. Yeah, really neat. Neat, neat, neat. What did you ask me? How long I had been married. It will be twenty-five years. You told me. So you left the boat in Washington. Then we put it in the hands of somebody who would sell it. We had to go back a lot of times. But we finally came back to Boulder City and found a house that we liked. Mike had a house there and so did I, but my younger daughter was living in my house and we had rented his house to some friends of mine. And I didn't want to live in a house with a pool, anyway. I never had a pool growing up and I don't want to have to take care of it. It's really sad that I didn't because he had fruit trees planted all around that pool. He had nectarines and pear and almonds. Oh, man. There weren't any peaches, though. What did he have? I don't remember what else. Pomegranates. But did you sell the property? Yes, we did. My daughter stayed in my house and we sold his house and bought the house that we're living in now with cash, thank goodness. That was the only way to do things. It has turned out to be pretty cool. So did he go back to being a day trader? Yes, yes. It hasn't gone very well, though, because in the ten years we were gone traders started trading—I mean anybody could trade on E-Trade. They would get on the Internet and closing times of the different commodities were all night long I mean they would go on forever. It used to be he had in his head cotton closes at this time and wheat closes at this time and pork bellies close at this time. It's been tough for the last—it's not been all cream. I didn't go back to work. He didn't really want me to go back to work. He's struggling and he's doing okay. We're still there. 26 That's wonderful. Yes. We're able to pay the taxes and buy food and go out to eat once in a while. You know what? When you're on a boat you realize it only takes love and a little food and water; that's all you need, and something over your head. And you don't have a mortgage, so that's why you're able to do that. That's right; no mortgage at all. Yeah, that's cool. I thought when we did that, what, you’re going to pay cash for the house? And he said of course; I don't want to have to pay every month. My mother was like that, too. If she bought something on time, she would pay three payments each payment time to get it paid off. So where did you go shopping when you were near downtown Las Vegas growing up, in high school? You mean like grocery stores? Clothing. Oh, across the street from UNLV there was a lady named Arian who had a bridal shop. It was on Tropicana in that little strip mall that was just right over there. Where Vons supermarket is now? I guess. Anyway, she had a little dress store down on Las Vegas Boulevard, a little dress shop. If you wanted to get something really nice, you went to Arian's. She knew what size you wore and she would greet you with this huge hug no matter if you hadn't seen her in months. That was fun, too, because a lot of my friends from high school were in a beauty contest; it was Ms. North Las Vegas contest. Well, I didn't get very far, but I got my bathing suit and my red high heels from her. That's great. So now, where do you shop now in Boulder City? In Boulder City they have several really—they don't have as many as they used to, but some cute 27 little shops, like—Hot Digs; I don't remember what it's called. But if I want to buy clothes, I usually go to Coldwater Creek. And I go to Henderson to places like— The District. Well, actually I love Ross and Marshalls and they're both right there in that new shopping center on Lake Mead. Oh, that's great. Stewart's Market; that's where we went shopping. Where was that? That's on Stewart Street right near the church where I went to church. Homesite Baptist Church is where I went. I was just thinking—and you were thinking (sic) about where did you shop. Every Sunday evening we went out to dinner, my family, my early family. We went to a pancake house that was on the comer of 16th, I think, and Fremont. I don't know what it was called, if it was called the Pancake House. I would have little pigs in blankets and that was the most wonderful thing. When you go to a Pancake House, you can eat a lot for practically nothing because my mother was saving for a house. They found that house; it was being built in North Las Vegas. They bought it brand-new and I hated it. Why? It didn't have any trees. That house on 13th Street had huge salt cedar trees that I could just walk up. I could just walk using both hands just walk up the trunk and sit in the tree and watch the whole world go by. But then there were no trees; there was one little stick. Did you plant trees up in North Las Vegas? Yes. And you should see them now. When my mom passed away and I sold the house. I go by every once in a while. That tree got so big that it just took up all the sidewalks and started on the driveways. So I think they took that out. But anyway, it's kind of fun to go back and look. 28 My folks always loved Mount Charleston and they would go up and just sit on the park benches and play in the snow. There's a picture of me about a year old with snowballs and stuff. They decided about the time I got married that they wanted to buy a cabin up there. So they found a little cabin; it was thirteen hundred square feet. It was A-frame, didn't go all the way to the ground; it had a wall about this high inside. My folks had that until my brother and I sold it just this last August. That was something else; it was hard to do that. It was free and clear except for the three thousand dollars a year taxes and that's more than we pay for our two-story house in Boulder City. Mom’s money was running out and we didn't have that much money and my brother retired and I didn't know that. So it was prudent to sell it. We sold it to a really nice couple that came from Florida and wanted to live in the snow sometimes. Perfect. So do you like Boulder City today? I love Boulder City. There are a lot of people in Boulder City—Boulder City was a different kind—it was a government town for the longest time. About the time I met Tom it had incorporated itself and we still had Boulder City schools. Boulder City School was separate from the Clark County schools. It didn't take but about—I don't know how many years—not very many years, four or five maybe years of having incorporated school that they got incorporated into the Clark County schools. But still Boulder City is a better school than any school. We had six valedictorians with five-point-oh averages. I mean five, how do you get a five? I have no idea. You do all the extra classes that they have for you plus all your schoolwork. So do those kids get to go to some of the Ivy League schools? Yes, they do. They get huge scholarships. It's wonderful; it really is. So what kinds of organizations and clubs are active in Boulder City now? I belong to Rebekahs. What is that? 29 Rebekahs is a—R-E-B-E-K-A-H. It's part of the International Order of Odd Fellows. Rebekahs are very similar to Eastern Star and Masons. My husband is a Mason and I belong to Eastern Star. Oh, there's the women's club and they're college-educated women, Women of the—it's letters. University women. Yeah. So what are some of the activities that some of these clubs do for Boulder City? Oh, gosh, they do all kinds of things. Fashion shows? Scholarships is one of the big things. So how do they raise money for scholarships? Oh, they have teas and they have—like you said a fashion show, it was a sorority that did that, had a fashion show. And people that had lived in Boulder City forever donated their clothes to the fashion show. So they had clothes from the thirties they were wearing. And it was really hard to find anybody to fit into the skinny waist things. But they would sew them up in the back and put a jacket on them. Absolutely adorable. That was just so much fun just watching it. They would come down the stairway at the hotel and when they got to the first landing, they would tell about the outfit they had and they would come down the last ten steps and model for everybody. We all had tea before that. It was beautiful. It was one of the best ones I've ever been to. So what about Art in the Park in Boulder City? Art in the Park. My mother and my daughter and myself, we started a long, long time ago 30 donating a painting that we did. It wasn't called Art in the Park then; it was called—well, Art in the Park, I guess. It wasn't called that, though; it was called something else. There’s one picture of me in there with the painting that I donated. My mother was a painter. So we would get three booths in a row, which was twenty-five dollars apiece then and it was a square about as big as this table and you could put your paintings out on easels. Now it's become very, very expensive. So we got three in a row—my paintings, my mother's paintings and my daughter's drawings. One artist in a different area came to my daughter and said would you be willing to trade art with me? And she said sure. He said because I really love this. She painted horses in watercolors. She did it any way she could do it, but she was really pretty good at it. So she went over and she came back with a drawing that was amazing, almost like da Vinci's drawing of the man. That was the one that really caught her eye. He didn't care how much the differences were and the prices; he just wanted to have something of hers. Isn't that neat that somebody would do that? It's lovely. Yes, it is. We were in Art in the Park—Boulder City Art Festival was what it was called. We were in the Circle Park for years. Then it came my turn to be in charge of the whole thing. The wind was supposed to blow and it was supposed to be rainy. We never had any problem with it before, but it scared me. Two days before it started I said we're moving to the school, the high school. So everybody had all their stuff in the hallways of the school. It still was not nearly as elaborate as it is now with all the crafts and things. It was mostly fine art, arts and paintings. Outside we had on a clothesline. What kind of sunglasses are those that keep the sun from—they keep the sun from hurting your eyes. Anyway, this lady—and she's very popular now—she made like—I don't know what she made them out of, but it was paper. It had glass over it. It had a light inside—it didn't have light inside then; you had to use the sun. You would take these two pieces 1 31 of—they were like, well, a piece of plastic, but it had a color so that when you put them together it was much darker. You could go to her thing, it was hanging on the line, and go like this and have it darker and it would be something else. Jordan is her name. She's still doing stuff. I am really not good at saying that kind of stuff, but it was really neat. That was Art in the Park. And now it's one of the biggest things around. Yeah. Country Store is something that's big, too; it’s a rummage sale run by the women at Grace Community Church. I went there for many years. My daughters were dedicated there. I didn't get married there, though, because my home was Las Vegas, although he lived there and went to church there. I got married where I wanted to. So you got married in your old church here? First Baptist Church, yeah. Yeah, the Country Store now is still huge if you ever want to come out. It's in October and it's Friday and Saturday, some weekend in October around the 21st. It's huge, huge. It's everywhere. And people donate their clothes and sell them? Clothes and furniture and bedding and craftwork and shoes. Somebody makes chili and they serve chili all day and sodas. The basement has books and videos and pie. That's wonderful. It really is neat. So that's the big fundraiser for that church? Yeah, it is. Wonderful. So any other memories about Rancho High School, anything else that you thought about? You said if I was an activist or not. One time we were having a performance; I think it was the one where the quartet was singing in the gym. There was one girl who was a dancer and there 32 was no place for her to change her clothes. So she had gone up to one of the storage rooms at the theater to change clothes. The gal in there was practicing her part for the play that was going to be the next week and she wouldn’t let her in to change clothes. And that really made me mad. I said what, she's more important than anybody else? Finally she opened it and I said, Peaches, I'm going to kill you if you do that again. So Darlene went in and changed her clothes and then we left. But that just made me angry. I don't get angry that much anymore. It's really calming to be on the ocean. You don't have anything else to do. We kept our own watches, so we called ourselves “lips that pass in the night.” When we were by ourselves, which was most of the time, we would do four hours on, four hours off, four hours on and then six hours off so that we always had a good night's six hours sleep. People that sail and go three hours on and three hours off are zombies by the time they sail for two weeks anywhere. So we didn't have any problem with that. My husband was in submarines and he knew about watches and how to set them up so that you could actually get some rest. Oh, that's great. It was; it was great. When we had another person with us, we did four on, four off all day and all night, which worked out. No. Four on, eight off, because if we had three people we could divide it. So it was three segments of a twenty-four-hour period, yes. Yes. But we never were without a watch. You have to have a watch. A lot of people get in trouble not watching. I remember more what we did on the boat than in high school. I think it's wonderful that you remember that. Those were the times that you really loved. Yeah, I really did. Life with Mike has been really, really nice. When we came back my Rebekah lodge wanted to go volunteer at the veterans’ home for Super Bowl Sunday. They 33 wanted to help set up all the decorations and go get the people to come down for the pizza parties and things like that. So we did that one time. I had been singing on Fridays, just going. I wasn't a volunteer; I just went and sang. After that time I got to meet some of the people living there and an amazing group of people that work there, the CNAs and nurses and the group that worked there. They were so caring and giving. And the place was spotless, absolutely spotless. They have a chapel. They have kind of a living room where they can watch. Anyway, so after that was over I went to Angela, the head of volunteers, and I said I want to be a real volunteer, so I got the paperwork. You had to be fingerprinted and you've got to get your tuberculosis thing and you have to sign—not sign your life away, but they have to do a background check on you and make sure you're not crazy. Exactly. And I think that's important. I had five hundred and ninety hours this last time. Oh, that's wonderful. Yeah, I think it's pretty good. Oh, no. Nine hundred and ninety hours. I'm almost to a thousand. It will take me six months to get to a thousand. But I started going every day. She gave me a job of changing the water bottles in the rooms and on sidewinder neighborhoods. So I would go in the morning and get the little cart and go down and get the waters. You have to knock on the door and go in and you visit with everybody, because you have to, and I like that. And I find out how they're doing today. Oh, my son's coming today. Oh, good. You're going to lunch? Oh, that's wonderful. Yeah. And so I got really used to the people there. I would go back to the kitchen and fill up the water bottles with ice and water and take them back. I did that every day for five days a week, after not having done anything like that in ages. So at one point I said I don't have any time to do anything else because it was right in the middle of the day. I did it from ten o'clock to one 34 o'clock. So I said I'm just going to come three days a week; I'm going to come Monday, Wednesday and Friday. So I'm still going three days a week and doing the same thing, but I love it. That's wonderful. Lost a lot of good friends in the three years. Yes. But I think that's why we're here. I think so, too. You are so right. Are you writing a book; is that what you're doing? No. These interviews are used for researchers, students who want to research the history of the city, of the area. So we do oral history on all kinds of subjects. Like early healthcare, we interview doctors and nurses. We want to do something on entertainment, what it was like, dancers and showgirls. So we ask them about behind the stage, on the stage, the various shows. Oh, neat. Very interesting. Yes. So we get all kinds of information about life. Isn't that great? The whole gamut of life in this area. People will say I wouldn't move to Las Vegas for anything. I say it all depends on you. They just don't know. They have no idea what a lovely city this is. It got huge and the overbuilding was a real mistake, but it happened and what can you do about it? So thank you so much. Oh, you're welcome. It was wonderful. I just love meeting you, Claytee. Wonderful meeting you. I didn't learn much about you. [End of recorded interview] 36 Boulder City, 8,10, 11,12,14, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30 Businesses: Arian's Bridal, 26; Boulder Appliance, 11; Chief Motel, 14; Franklin Motel, 14; Gaverson Satler, 15; Larkin Plumbing, 11; Pancake House, 27; Stewart's Market, 27 Carol Whitmire: veterinarian, 16 Cheryl Leonard, 6 Dr. Ahlstrom: dentist, 12 Dr. Swank, 4 Family: brother, 2; father, 1, 2; grandparents, 1; husband, 10; mother, 2 First Baptist Church, 5 First home, 1 Hang-outs: Blue Onion, 9; Fremont Street, 8 Joyce Moore, 8,10 Navigation school, 17 Old Post Office, 3 Polio, 4 Post Office: father, 3; mother, 3 Rancho High Pep Club, 6 Reed Whipple, 2 Schools: J.D. Smith, 5,13; Jefferson, 5; Rancho High, 4, 32 Theaters: Huntridge, 2 Von Tobel: effigy, 6 World cruise with husband, 18 Helldorado, 13,14 a I — so ‘3 « -** 2g‘ ® £ to '5 5 ®ss | *3 » =>2 CO tji SO u « c 8 | «JS m w ? w.g- O c ^ *5 51 « ~ c,^) >»> •o pfi a 2 pc 3 —< 5 S’S g-g j(W 5ega ^ N* CA . CTJ a 8 2 01 a g? ;>, * ©S’? .2 | w «t>5 a « «» „, a. CO « ©pO t, w S c h .2 a # 4i gs-sss z(*. K-'Sjja « a a « 2S ft > — kn rz *r? fc* ^ 0> u o Q> O o o 1/1 «£ I U1 Q « <5 « 5 © . S« a *2 « 3 's.a £ » a 8'3 © . g«S rfd.5 a ?a a a 43 UO 9 X! ?** 5 (A 4) (A 9 T3 9 CO CA k. CO 4? >» k C '‘ U 4> g *> 4> •zi > u tfi So CO o 9 JB O * C CQ 4) <0 £ 4) g S * ft s = | 3 < & v. _ o ?2 © 3 ** a js .3 xj 4) — ftp a; >> “ 3 js -o £ . *o * O t£ *3 si «® £ - * e ©G 12 £> o. .2 o 23 e X B «l O wC ?** 4? <0 S 6S u £ © 5 i-5 *8 *® CO •*» > » •M ^ a ft o > c CA tX> c CO ft i . w ?il (3 : “> 2 : © 2 t {*.«*= s t* a C :*3 Su a a 5 a 0 8 §0 <« a k(fl jc • £*$©?-£ O *9 >pC o «S<S« g a.-o a a S5«s| • £.52 3$ ©oSSJ® O l-’C ?“ a O 5 x © > a o -".3 © t® a £ * o2 >IK 2-°-o 52-a »ag Sjg-2 rf © i t. 5<g,g ic^°o5 * * » * * * * * * » » * » r * Htl (A O >» k! • — *- >>Su •* a w u | 3 >- gx» « ©?= 2 « 5 a a cQ a 4> 5 ftp. lx s >> *> 2,-Sx; 2W a * —• ^ >. 4> JS c2^ ©G 2 * * * al| I ?=« g. * c © §? * 5 3 |pr An Interview with Linda Lintner CT 'Z'AI I_S^> An Oral History Conducted by Claytee D. White The Boyer Early Las Vegas Oral History Project Oral History Research Center at UNLV University Libraries University of Nevada Las Vegas i ©The Boyer Early Las Vegas Oral History Project University of Nevada Las Vegas, 2012 Produced by: The Oral History Research Center at UNLV - University Libraries Director: Claytee D. White Editors: Barbara Tabach, Joyce Moore Transcriber: Kristin Hicks Interviewers and Project Assistants: Barbara Tabach and Claytee D. White n The recorded interview and transcript have been made possible through the generosity of Dr. Harold Boyer. The Oral History Research Center enables students and staff to work together with community members to generate this selection of first-person narratives. The participants in this project thank the university for the support given that allowed an idea the opportunity to flourish. The transcript received minimal editing that includes the elimination of fragments, false starts, and repetitions in order to enhance the reader’s understanding of the material. All measures have been taken to preserve the style and language of the narrator. In several cases photographic sources accompany the individual interviews. The following interview is part of a series of interviews conducted under the auspices of the Boyer Early Las Vegas Oral History Project. Claytee D. White, Project Director Director, Oral History Research Center University Libraries University Nevada, Las Vegas ORAL HISTORY RESEARCH CENTER AT UNLV Boyer Early Las Vegas Oral History Project Rancho High School Class of‘62 T Ise Agreement Name of Narrator: Name of Interviewer: g/Tg We, die above named, give tor die Oral History Research Center of UNLV, the recorded intcrview(s) inidated on . fL/ j<JLC f J along widi typed transcripts as an unrestricted gift, to be used/ior such scholarly and educadonal purposes as shall be determined, and transfer to die University of Nevada las Vegas, legal title and all literary property rights including copyright. This gift docs not preclude die right of die interviewer, as a representative of IJNLV, nor die narrator to use die recordings and related materials for scholarly pursuits. I understand dial my interview will be made available to researchers and may be quoted from, published, distributed, placed on the Internet or broadcast in any medium diat the Oral History Research Center and UNLV libraries deem appropriate including future forms of electronic and digital media. There will be no compensation for any interviews. Date Library Special Collections 4505 Maryland Parkway, Box 457010, Las Vegas, Nevada 89154-7070 (702) 895-2222 1 Preface The daughter of a soldier, Linda Lintner and her mother traveled from North Carolina to Overton, Nevada to stay with Linda’s grandparents when she was only six weeks old. After her father joined the family, they moved to Las Vegas where both her mother and her father started working at the Post Office. Linda attended local elementary and middle schools in the valley, and in due time, Rancho High School. In this interview, Linda shares not only her memories of growing up in Las Vegas but also fascinating stories about the almost decade long round the world sailing journey that she and her second husband began in 1986. In the course of the decade, Linda became a qualified diver, and expert sailor, and developed a lasting appreciation for the world, its oceans - and the skills you learn when you live on a boat with one other person for so very long. Since their return, Linda has been keeping busy, volunteering many hours with local veterans homes and the church - we are fortunate that she was able to spend time with our interviewer, too, to share her memories of growing up in Las Vegas. 2 This is Claytee White. It is Tuesday morning, February 12, 2013, and I am with Linda— Lintner. Oh, my goodness, I spelled it wrong. I'm so glad to have you spell it correctly. So would you please spell your last name? L-I-N-T-N-E-R. Wonderful. Thank you so much. I'm going to start just by talking about your early life and I want you to tell me about your family, where you grew up, and you can do that any way you like. Give me your parents' names and tell me what they did for a living. I was bom in North Carolina and my mother brought