The collection contains materials (1967-1991) collected by Sheilagh Brooks predominantly during her time serving on various boards and committees under the Nevada Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology. Materials include agendas, meeting minutes, correspondence, administrative reports, policies, budget plans, grant applications and guidelines for various federal and state departments. The collection also contains the applications of Nevada sites for the National Register of Historic Places.
The Sheilagh Brooks Collection on Nevada Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology (1967-1991) contains materials collected by Sheilagh Brooks during her time serving on various boards and committees under the Nevada Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology. It documents state efforts to protect and preserve Nevada areas and resources such as the Comstock Lode, the Lost City, and Red Rock. Materials include agendas, meeting minutes, correspondence with committee members as well as with Vice President George W. Bush, and administrative reports and policies from related boards and committees. The collection contains budget plans, grant applications and guidelines for various federal and state departments as well.
The collection also contains applications of Nevada sites for the National Register of Historic Places and contains Nevada’s State Historic Marker Program records, listings, surveys, nominations, photographic prints, pamphlets and map drawings of historic and proposed historic sites in Nevada. It includes records of archaeological sites, churches, dams, factories, government buildings, hospitals, hotels, houses and ranches, railroad areas, and schools from Las Vegas, Reno, Carson City, Wells, Sparks, Ely, Lovelock, Minden and Jarbidge.
Collection is open for research, with the exception of materials that are restricted to protect personally identifiable information. Restrictions are noted at the file level of this inventory and will be open for research use January 01, 2059.
Materials in this collection may be protected by copyrights and other rights. See Reproductions and Use on the UNLV Special Collections and Archives website for more information about reproductions and permissions to publish.
These records are organized into two series:
Series I. Nevada Division of Historic Preservation and Archeology records, 1967-1991;
Series II. National Register of Historic Places records, 1978-1986.
The Nevada Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology was created in 1977 to administer the state-level historic preservation program and the state historic marker program. The Division Administrator, who also serves as the State Historic Preservation Officer (SHPO), is appointed by the governor. Historic Preservation and Archaeology duties include reviewing and evaluating all nominations prepared for submission to the National Register of Historic Places and reviewing the state historic preservation plan prior to submission to the Secretary of the Interior. In 1992, the Nevada Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology changed its name to the Nevada State Historic Preservation Office.
The Nevada Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology was a state agency under the parent federal agency National Park Service, which is part of the United States Department of the Interior. Under the Nevada Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology (Nevada State Historic Preservation Office), there exists the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the National Register of Historic Places, which encompasses state organizations such as the Lost City Museum Advisory Commission, Nevada State Park, and Red Rock Advisory Committee. Records from all organizations are present in the collection.
“Preserving Nevada’s Heritage.” Nevada State Historic Preservation Office. Accessed April 18, 2018. http://shpo.nv.gov/.
Sheilagh Thompson was born on December 10, 1923 to Robert and Leah Thompson. She grew up in Southern California and graduated from San Pedro High School. She earned her BA in 1944, her MA in 1947, and her PhD in 1951 all in anthropology from the University of California, Berkeley. She married Richard Brooks on November 10, 1951, and the couple had two children, Kathleen and Carolyn.
During her time at Berkeley, Brooks held several positions including museum curator and research anthropologist. She also worked as an instructor in anthropology. She taught part-time at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) beginning in 1960. She relocated to Las Vegas permanently in 1966, and became the first full-time anthropology professor at UNLV. In 1973, she became a full professor and chair of the Anthropology-Ethnic Studies Department at UNLV. The Sheilagh Brooks Osteology Research Laboratory at UNLV is named in her honor for her many contributions to the University and to the study of anthropology and archaeology.
In addition to her teaching career, Brooks authored several articles on anthropology and was recognized as an expert in forensic anthropology. She also served in local and statewide organizations devoted to Nevada history and archaeology. She oversaw the excavation of Kiel Ranch in North Las Vegas, Nevada.
After suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, Brooks passed away in 2008.
Sheilagh Brooks Biographical File, Richard and Sheilagh Brooks Papers, 1919-2003. MS-00885. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada.
Sheilagh Brooks Collection on Nevada Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology Records, 1967-1991. MS-00743. Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada.
Materials were donated in 1990 by Sheilagh Brooks; accession number 90-10.
In 2018, as part of a backlog elimination project, the collection was processed in compliance with current professional standards and a finding aid was created by Faye Mazzia.